- How big is a Playaway and how much content can it hold?
- Playaway is about half the size of a deck of cards and will hold the audio for an entire book, up to 60 hours of playtime.
- What does the audio sound like on a Playaway?
- Playaway is pre-loaded with high-definition audio. This audio quality is unsurpassed by any other format today. This is made possible by proprietary audio processing, production and leading edge codecs.
- Why can't I add, delete or transfer content on or from Playaway?
- In order to protect the copyrighted works of authors and publishers, you are unable to make copies of Playaway. But you can share them with friends just like you would lend your new bestseller.
- How does Playaway compare to audio on cassette or CD?
- Playaway is more convenient and easier to enjoy than juggling multiple CDs, cassettes or a separate player. Playaway allows the listener to control the speed of the narrator’s voice and automatically bookmarks the last place they left off after powering down.
- How does Playaway compare to digital downloads?
- Playaway is the best way to listen, unplugged and uninterrupted. Playaway comes pre-loaded with great digital content, so it does not require information transfer fees, subscriptions, memberships, or even an Internet connection. Just plug-in your headphones and listen wherever you go.
- What headphones work with Playaway?
- Playaway was designed with a universal audio jack to work with almost any type of audio accessory such as headphones, speakers or car adaptors.
- Can I use Playaway in a car?
- Yes. Playaway was specifically designed to use with most commonly available cassette adaptors, FM transmitters and auxiliary cables.
- Where can I get basic information on how to use Playaway?
- Check out the Using Playaway section under Playaway Product Info for detailed information on using Playaway.
- How do I change the battery?
- Locate the battery door at the wide base of the unit. Look for the notch holding the door in place. Using your thumb, push up and away on the notch to open the battery door. Add or change the battery and snap the battery door back into place.
- How long does one AAA battery last?
- Every Playaway comes with a standard Energizer AAA battery, which provides an average of 30 hours of playtime. Rechargeable batteries are also compatible with Playaway; playtime will depend on the brand.
- How do I know how much battery life is left?
- A small battery icon is displayed on the LCD screen. There are four levels of battery life, each represented with a bar. The lowest level, one bar, indicates that 20% of battery life remains.
- How do I use a lanyard with Playaway?
- Locate the lanyard attachment area at the narrow top of the player. To attach the lanyard, simply thread and loop the lanyard into the indentation.
- Is there a quick way to reset Playaway to the beginning?
- While PAUSED, press SPD + << together, then quickly press PLAY/PAUSE. The unit will turn off and start at the beginning when turned on again.
- Can I lock/unlock Playaway?
- While in PLAY, quickly click Power button once.
- What information appears on the LCD screen?
Screen information varies depending on which Playaway model you are looking at.
The Playaway HD screen displays the amount of time you have been listening to the current track and a battery life indicator.
The screen on Playaway LIGHT, the most recently released product, displays battery life, a progress bar, chapter position, mode and other helpful status indicators.
- If I’m having issues using Playaway, what should I do?
- If you have any questions about Playaway that cannot be solved using the “Tips + Tricks” section below, please contact Customer Service at 1.877.893.0808 or email email@example.com.
If you are still experiencing difficulty, please contact Customer Service at (877) 893-0808 or firstname.lastname@example.orgBack to Top
Tips + Tricks
- Why won't Playaway turn on?
We recommend inserting a fresh battery (please double-check to make sure it's inserted in the right direction). Most times, this is all you need to do to get your Playaway up and running again.
Please keep in mind, most Playaway titles should take approximately 3 to 4 seconds to turn on. For a small percentage of titles that have long duration times or many chapters, start-up could take 10 to 12 seconds.
- Why is Playaway skipping chapters?
- This happens when the Shuffle play mode is activated. If your Playaway is pre-loaded with music content, the SP button enables/disables shuffle play functionality. Pressing the SP button once will enable Shuffle play mode and cause a randomization of the playback; pressing it again will disable the Shuffle play mode.
- Why is the narrator's voice so fast (or slow)?
Adjust the speed of the narration by pressing the SP button.
HD Audio Playaways have 5 options; older Playaways do not have the slow and slowest speeds.
SPD = Normal
SPD+ = Fast
SPD++ = Fastest
SPD- = Slow
SPD-- = Slowest
- Why did the display screen say REBLD or RESET before turning off?
- If this happened it simply means that your Playaway needed to reset. Please be patient upon the first power up after this occurs, as it could take 20 or 30 sections longer before start up is complete.
- What should I do if the display screen says ER00?
If at any point you receive this message, please contact us—we’d love to replace the Playaway for you.
As always, our Customer Service team is available to help you with any additional questions and can be reached at (877) 893-0808 or email@example.com.